History:Bronx Westchester Area Health Education Center (BW AHEC) is a partner of the New York State Area Health Education Center (AHEC) System. The New York State AHEC System is funded by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, New York State’s Health Care Reform Act of 2000 and local community support. The Bronx-Westchester Area Health Education Center was established in July 2001 and is the first of three New York City AHECs. It serves the entire regional area of the Bronx which has a population of approximately 1.4 million, and the underserved communities of Westchester County which has a population in excess of 900 thousand.
Vision:We are committed to improving the health and healthcare outcomes of underserved communities in the Bronx and Westchester Areas through recruitment, retention and enrichment for the healthcare workforce.
Mission:Through collaborative relationships with partnering healthcare facilities, academic institutions, government agencies and a variety of community based organizations, the Bronx-Westchester Area Health Education Center:
- Encourages youth to pursue health careers through student internships and school programs.
- Creates community-based health professional training opportunities and public health programs.
- Strengthens community networks to increase minority representation in all healthcare professions.
- Builds partnerships to increase the quality and accessibility of healthcare in underserved communities.
- Facilitates the ongoing development of community partnerships to eliminate health disparities and achieve common goals.